Omega Wrestling Alliance
Join the Omega or jump back into our universe!

Welcome to OWA! click here to read our rules and regulations!

HomeHome  WikiWiki  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
The newest episodes of Olympus, Odyssey, & Kingdom are now up!
The card for Boiling Point can be found here!
Latest topics
» Give a finisher/finisher name for the person above you
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Hayden Cross Today at 10:44 am

» What song are you listening to right now?
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Hans Olsen Today at 7:14 am

» OWA Social Feed
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby The Udy Today at 6:42 am

» OWA Promos!
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Gareth Cason Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» Trent Hawk
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Nate Cage 9/17/2019, 12:58 pm

» The Compliment Game
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby ᴢᴋʏ 9/17/2019, 5:29 am

» Yo yo yo yo
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Dennis 9/16/2019, 12:28 am

» The Omega Awards
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Nate Cage 9/14/2019, 12:17 pm

» WWE Clash of Champions (2019) Predictions
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Finnegan Wakefield 9/13/2019, 5:17 am

» British Invasion/Game Over Predictions
Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitimeby Jeff X 9/12/2019, 6:40 pm

Top posting users this week
Finnegan Wakefield
Gimmick Inspiration I_vote_lcapGimmick Inspiration I_voting_barGimmick Inspiration I_vote_rcap 
Nate Cage
Gimmick Inspiration I_vote_lcapGimmick Inspiration I_voting_barGimmick Inspiration I_vote_rcap 
Dennis
Gareth Cason
kennydrake
Hans Olsen
DampshawIIIఒ
Keelan Callihan
The Udy
Roni Ozborn
Major Event
Major Event Schedule
May: Shake-Up Event Ω

Jul: Boiling Point Ω

Oct: Civil War Ω

Jan: Clash of the Titans Ω

Apr: Final Destination 2 Ω
Partners/Affiliates
eWmania
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Gimmick Inspiration

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roni Ozborn

Roni Ozborn

Gimmick Inspiration Empty
PostSubject: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 12:31 am

What inspired your character's gimmick? For me, I usually never think of a gimmick, which I think is pretty evident, I just think of a moveset, who I want to use and go from there and develop a gimmick as I go along, which is awful and something I have always done.

But I was curious as to what inspired y'alls gimmick and such.
Back to top Go down
Azumi Goto

Azumi Goto

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 1:36 am

I think it's blatantly obvious that Azumi is based on the ideology of Japanese Wrestling Aces. Whether it be Tana, Io, Okada or anyone else. 

The proud and confident heroic babyface who wants to lead and set an example.
Back to top Go down
Hans Olsen

Hans Olsen

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 1:51 am

Actually, gimmick is something that I lack off in my e-feds career. I'm the type who is like "I'll tell my gimmicks through my promos" which I hope it can translates well, lol.

However, here's my 2 cents.

Nobi: I always liked Eli Drake (Shaun Ricker) since his CWF Hollywood days so I tried to be like him when I made the Nobi character back in EAW on March 2016. Scott Oasis was my first head writer as well and he did a storyline which Nobi turned to Face and Nobi has been a Face ever since. Oh yes, Nobi was a brawler, lol.

Lucas Johnson was my ally in that storyline and the pic-base season opened and I think it would make sense if Nobi turned into a Technical and Submission wrestler since Lucas Johnson in character was an NCAA Champion (I changed my pic base from Eli Drake to Desmond Wolfe). I didn't have a nick-name that time but Matt Ryder who was one of my writers that time kept calling me The Indonesian Mat-Magician in scripts so eventually I just went along with it, lol.

I was a face but I would still cursed. But in the meantime, Matt and Brian Daniels (and later on Robbie V, Xavier Williams, and Diamond Cage for a bit) kept portraying me as a good guy like John Cena in the scripts so I just tried to be as humble as possible in promos, lol.

Not to mention, I was in a stabble called The Stuffed Crust with The Pizza Boy and Lioncross. I got paired with Lioncross for most of time and his retirement match was a Tag match which he had Nobi as his partner. We failed to win that match and Nobi the character became even more humble as he had a confident crisis and kept blaming himself for not being able to win The Tag Team Championship in Lioncross' last match. Thus The White Knight was born with John Cena pic-base, lol.

And Nobi is in Hollywood nowadays. If he ever returns (under my own will) I'll mention something about Hollywood, lol.

Hans Olsen: I just want to be a Kurt Angle, lol.

Novita: I originally wanted Novita to be a Face like Nobi was but HBG told me that Novita should be the pollar opposite of Nobi which interest me and hope nails this gimmick going forward, lol.
Back to top Go down
The Udy

The Udy

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 5:32 am

"The Demon Wolf" aka "The Real Alpha" Udy :  I took a lot of inspiration from Bray Wyatt and bit from Dean Ambrose's promo styles and mixed it up.  Wrestling wise my character is a MMA based athlete with high-flying as a strength.   During my time in other efeds beginning with my first one, I kept my character more supernaturally inclined and more dark.  In retrospect I think his persona here is a evolution akin to Kane's.  Udy became more human and more interactive and funny (in a dark and sarcastic way).  Instead of being a pure creature of evil and paranormal styled, he became a man with a twisted past who is aware of his psyche and mental state and uses that fictional supernaturalism because of lycanthropy to tap into the mean streak when needed.  I based the look on Matt Sydal's current look because during the character's earlier incarnations as "The Demon Wolf"/ "Ultimo Diablo"(was his ring-name then instead of nick name now) , he was either Evan Bourne with a wolf inspired mask or a facepainted version with a longer mane.  Now as time passed and Udy evloved into a human, his hair changed to the current form and attire changed from elaborate wolf-skin/fur for entrance and full black tights and vest to contemporary loose tracks and vest (a jacket for entrance).
Back to top Go down
ᴢᴋʏ

ᴢᴋʏ

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 7:08 am

Gather round, gather round.... Auntie Haruna boutta share some story.

So, for some people around here, you might never see me writing promo or do something here (and probably never will). I gotta say that everything I did in this world of efedding is probably different from most of you. I don't know if it's good or bad, I sometimes question myself if I actually do this wrong, maybe since a lot of people prefer different approaches. 

So here's the thing about being Haruna Sakazaki.... I never make my Haruna character based on some wrestlers that already exist. It all begins because I was in a fed where we can use a real legit character (like John Cena, Randy Orton, etc.) and I thought that making an original character based on an existed gimmick sounds kind of stupid to me. If I wanted to make that kind of original character, why don't I be just that real character instead? So the reason why I am making Haruna is to become someone new. Someone that you never have seen before in a real world. Not just an exact carbon copy of your picbase or a genderbend/fusion version of certain wrestlers.

So, yeah. Where do I get the inspiration for Haruna. Haruna was actually a combination of couple things that I am interested in. The first time I made her is when I love watching a couple of Yankee doramas so I made her background to be around that world. I was thinking that "hey, I never saw any Yankee-like wrestler as far as I know" so BAM, new idea! Then I feel comfortable with playing as her until I go for another experiment with my other inspiration on J-pop kind of stuff. I watched a couple of idols documentaries about their mindset, their struggle to the top and such so I was thinking that why not putting it into my wrestling character. I also learned about the basic human trait, also about blood type personalities and type of "dere" characteristics. I made this to give you all something that you are unfamiliar with and also something new to give you fresh looks of everything I write. And it's not just Haruna, I made a couple of original characters too and I did the same mindset on making them.

I wish I can do any more of this. But I feel like everyone here is doing something that is supposed to be and I am just doing it wrong. I thought efedding is like something that what I think it is. But well, in the end of the world, everything I do seem to be wrong and gives me thought that I am entering the wrong world. It was fun while it last, but well.... there's no luck for me and my mindset.

....God, Why am I writing this?
Back to top Go down
kennydrake

kennydrake

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 3:09 pm

I played Far Cry 5.
Back to top Go down
Maggall

Maggall

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 7:00 pm

For Maggall

I got inspiration from one of my favourite game series' as I played Bravely Default series in my college days.  Nikolai Nikolanikov is this religious guy that is part of the party at the start of Bravely Second game, he does a lot poses and says twice/once more "for good measure", so it inspired for the magnanimous, posing, and repeating things twice for emphasis stuff.

Big Worm and Deebo, basically made me able to fuck around a lot for comical reasons but also be a dangerous violent dude. After all, he at first was just supposed to be a side muscle dude for PT back at a time I wasn't sure I wanted to join the fed seriously with one of my last planned characters, so I made this random one. I've made up my mind for stuff more for season 2.

Also Maggall name wise my attempt at something cool like "Magax" from an old website I played on as a kid and magus, but obviously never occurred to me w.e Michael Cole reference goes on for some people lol.
Back to top Go down
Aaron

Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/8/2019, 7:10 pm

@kennydrake wrote:
I played Far Cry 5.
Putting this here for no reason at all, I swear:

Back to top Go down
Shin-SEKAI

Shin-SEKAI

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/9/2019, 7:41 pm

Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, and David Lee Roth. For me, these guys are the true embodiment of performers that was so comfortable on stage and flaunted it, and people either loved it or hate it. Over time, the character has been influence by anime characteristics, but the true core was old rock stars that were controversial but admired for their craft to the point you can over look their flaws.
Back to top Go down
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/9/2019, 9:19 pm

Raven.
Back to top Go down
Derelict

Derelict

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/30/2019, 8:32 pm

I too also watched CWF Hollywood and there was once a wrestler called The Hobo.  He was very jovial and very much an underdog you could root for.  It wasn't exploitative of the homeless, and he came off as an extremely real despite sounding like Yosemite Sam.  He seemed like he embraced his lifestyle wholeheartedly.

Then I thought about how the homeless are usually portrayed in pop culture, and the ramifications thereof.  Movies like "The Caveman's Valentine" and "The Fisher King" show them as paranoid schizophrenics that are sympathetic but also kind of dangerous.  You never hear about the homeless unless the word mental illness is attached.  We've been taught to fear them and ignore them by society instead of being told to help them.  They're society's boogeyman just because they came back from a war in no shape to work, or lost everything in some unfortunate life event, or simply chose to live like gutter punks because they don't buy into the system.  The Derelict embraces all facets of being homeless that are both sensationalized and true.  My end game is to sort of make him a dirty beacon of truth, one that might be hated but still respected in a perverse way. 

TLDR: Essentially I'm shooting for a tramp Undertaker.
Back to top Go down
ScottyAdams

ScottyAdams

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime4/30/2019, 10:38 pm

For Dominick, the inspiration is mainly Thanos (movie adaptation)/Bane - 2 of my favourite comic book villains and 2 people I feel are a lot more nuanced than they are portrayed in their respective franchises. There are also aspects of the character somewhat inspired by the (Dark Knight rendition) Joker. I mainly devised him though so that I could do a monster heel sort of character but put my own spin on things.

As for my main character (Scotty) - Based off myself actually, with things tweaked for a wrestling capacity/entrepreneur lifestyle. He is pretty much the personification of the 'shade of grey' in a world that can fall into linear or 'black and white' thinking habits.  I always wrote him as an Anti-Hero/Tweener, as that is essentially the closest alignment wrestling wise to my own beliefs/his motivations.
Back to top Go down
Jonetta Stone

Jonetta Stone

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime5/5/2019, 2:34 am

And some pin-up stuff and seeing how angry people get about people taking photos with dead animals for trophy hunting and fur. My pic base has little to do with my character btw, it was 95% written before I picked Lacey. I originally wasn't going to use a wrestler pic base until the rule change, I just picked her because she suits what I had in mind size and look wise.
Back to top Go down
Carlos Rosso

Carlos Rosso

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime5/5/2019, 4:14 am

I'm going to try to nail a little about most of the characters people here have seen or maybe heard of: 

Carlos Rosso: The fighter Jon Jones obviously. Heavily influenced by strong-style guys like Inoki, Shibata and so forth. The idea for Carlos has always been to be me with the filter completely off and the evilness (or unabashed camp if I'm a face or face-leaning tweener) turned way up. The name was inspired by Fighting Layer/Street Fighter EX Character Vulcano Rosso, and characters like Sagat and Adon have figured pretty heavily into how he's been presented over the years.

April Song: Her story and style of fighting are inspired a lot by characters from the King of Fighters series. Zack Sabre Jr figures into a lot of her tendencies in the ring, while I have drawn inspiration from the likes of Kenny Omega for promos for her. 

Diantha: A very anime inspired character. Sailor Moon figured a bit heavily into the face run, and you will probably see other influences pop up here and there in the heel persona as it progresses. And if any of you were paying attention during Final Destination, you know Taichi is also somewhat an influence. 

Allen Song: Still underdeveloped, but in terms of moves/story he will probably have similar influences to April. 

MALESTROM: Pretty much any anime villain ever. 

Erica Ford: A very Super Sentai/Power Rangers inspired character and gimmick. Also was influenced pretty heavily by Sakura from the Street Fighter games for her face run.
Back to top Go down
MavericksINC

MavericksINC

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime5/5/2019, 9:17 am

Alright, I will give this a shot.

Devon Slayton: He’s actually had an evolving gimmick since he first debuted back in ‘01 and he’s grown since then into his current state which is partially based on Aleister Black during his original days in ICW, wXw, and Progress as Tommy End, with a hint of Tommy Dreamer and Keji Mutoh for flavor. Personality wise, while he’s somewhat dark and brooding-more like his father than he’d care to admit-Devon does have a fun side to him which I’m hoping to showcase here in the near future.

Devon’s wrestling style is more closely based on a combination of three men that I enjoy watching-Tommy End, Keji Mutoh, and Hirooki Goto as he is a technical wrestler with a strike heavy moveset for a person of his build but he doesn’t take as many chances like he used to and it’s reflected in his moveset.

So in an essence-his wrestling style has a gimmick.

Ethan Stryfe: Not going to lie but the current version of Ethan is based somewhat on Chris Hero with some elements of Donnie Yen’s IP Man (brilliant work) mixed in as he is viewed as the “older, more experienced” half of his team-which is slightly true since Ethan helped to train Devon-along with some elements of myself mixed in to try and give him a more grounded feeling when he’s doing promos and what not as where Devon keeps things close to the vest, Ethan tends to be a bit more...verbose as it were when he doesn’t have to be serious and dark in keeping with the team’s “gimmick”.

Ezra Rosenberg: Ezra came into being by sheer accident after a throwaway line during the “Brawl for all” episode of the Youtube show, “Wrestling with Wregret”, during a bit between Brian Zane and Jim Cornette and the running gag that Zane is Cornette’s son and I wanted Devon and Ethan to have a manager who was the complete opposite of the gimmick that his team uses-and boy does it cause him headaches, he enjoys the fact that his team are serious wrestlers...but the whole “darkness” part is, oi gervault.

Basically Ezra’s gimmick is much like that of a younger Jim Cornette (namely during his Jim Crockett Promotions/Smokey Mountain Wrestling days) but minus the tennis racket, but that doesn’t stop him from getting involved when his team really needs him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gimmick Inspiration   Gimmick Inspiration I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gimmick Inspiration
Page 1 of 1